Telecommunication is one of the basic necessities required to pass information over a distance by cable, telegraph, telephone, or broadcasting. Africa is growing very fast in telecommunications, with the influx of so many big companies. Highlighted below are the 10 largest telecommunications operators that are present across Africa.
01. Vodafone: Vodafone is one of the foremost telecommunication company in Africa that helps businesses to succeed and grow. They ensure that their services are aimed at connecting people, places and things by making use of the latest technologies. The countries where they operate in Africa includes Congo (DRC), Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Mozambique, South Africa, and Tanzania.
02. Airtel: Airtel is a major player in African’s telecommunication industry. They provide fast and affordable innovative mobile services to their customers. Their services are tailored towards business growth with improved social and economic welfare for their subscribers. The countries they cover in Africa are Nigeria, Chad, Uganda, Niger, Gabon, Kenya, Congo-Brazzaville, Malawi, Rwanda, Seychelles, Tanzania, Zambia, Congo DRC, and Madagascar.
03. Etisalat: Etisalat is one of the largest telecommunication operators in Africa with presence in countries like Morocco, Egypt, Mauritania, Mali, Gabon, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Benin, Central African Republic, Niger, Togo and Cote d’Ivoire. Etisalat provides innovative solutions and services to over 148 million subscribers across the continent. Their innovative mobile broadband services have changed market dynamics and provided affordable mobile internet access for millions of people.
04. MTN: MTN is an emerging market mobile operator at the forefront of technological and digital changes. They offer voice, data and digital services to retail customers in over 21 African countries. They have advanced communication infrastructures which are used to deliver quality services to their customers. They currently operate in Benin, Botswana, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea Bissau, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria Congo-Brazzaville, Rwanda, South Africa, Sudan, South Sudan, Swaziland, Uganda, Zambia, Namibia and Kenya.
05. Cell C: They are one of the latest and technologically advanced mobile telecommunications operators in Africa. Cell C has grown rapidly from 9 million mobile subscribers in 2012 to over 20 million subscribers in 2015. They offer monthly promotions, emergency airtimes, WhatsApp bundles and many other amazing services to their customers. The company is currently based in South Africa and they’re on the verge of making their presence known across the continent.
06. Telkom: Telkom is a reputable telecommunication operator in South Africa that serves business and residential customers. They offer home services like wireless internet, fibre internet, landlines, ADSL internet, phone and modem services. They also offer services which enable subscribers to unlock bonuses such as doubling of airtime, access to unlimited day calls, unlimited night calls etc.
07. Safaricom: Safaricom is one of the best telecommunication companies in Africa that offers reliable data and voice services. They always ensure that their customers enjoy ultra HD quality voice calls and videos with quality sound. They have friendly customer service departments that works 24/7 and they’re ready to listen to address customer’s complaints. Safaricom has more than 37 million active subscribers in 7 countries which include Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Mozambique and Tanzania.
08. Ethio telecom: Ethio telecom is an indigenous Ethiopian mobile telecommunication company that is offering high quality, innovative and affordable telecom products and services that enhance development and also ensures adequate customer satisfaction. They currently have more that 22.74 Million Data and internet customers, 44.03 Million mobile customers, and 1.01 Million fixed line customers. They provide a number of telecom products and services to their non-enterprise subscribers with great dedication to enable them meet their information needs.
09. Orange: Orange is a multi-service operator company which has a major stake in telecommunication. They are present in 17 African countries which includes Botswana, Cameroun, Central African Republic, Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea Bissau, Guinea Conakry, Madagascar, Mali, Senegal, Tunisia, Congo, Egypt, Maroc, Burkina Faso, Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Mauritius. They are also involved in digital development of the continent in areas like financial services, energy, education, agriculture, and healthcare.
10. Millicom: Millicom is a leading provider of cable and mobile services dedicated to emerging markets in Africa. They offer innovative solution to their subscribers through advanced technologies. They provide high-speed broadband and innovation around the digital lifestyle services. Some other products they offer to their customers include tigo one Tv, tigo sports, tigo money, and tigo music.
- VODAFONE: https://www.vodafone.com/about/where-we-operate
- AIRTEL: https://airtel.africa/
- ETISALAT: https://www.etisalat.com/en/about/profile/company-profile.jsp
- MTN: https://www.mtn.com/who-we-are/about-us/
- CELL C: https://www.cellc.co.za/cellc/home
- TELKOM: https://www.telkom.co.za/today/
- SAFARICOM: https://www.safaricom.co.ke/
- ETHIO TELECOM: https://www.ethiotelecom.et/
- ORANGE: https://www.orange.com/en/Group/Orange-in-the-world/Folder/Africa-and-the-Middle-East
- MILICOM: https://www.millicom.com/
Obsessing over African businesses and entrepreneurs, join our obsession… subscribe below for updates to new African business inspirational blog posts.
Want us to blog about your African businesses? Tell us your story here
Follow us on social media to stay tuned to the latest African business and fashion trends from the following handles:
• Instagram: @officialvieews
• Facebook: @officialvieews
• Twitter: @officialvieews